Monday, February 21, 2011

Crochet pattern for a Dog Blanket - Basket Weave



After taking my Rosie Bell back and forth
 from the Doggie Doctor the last couple of weeks, 
I decided she needed a little blanket to sit on,
 instead of a towel. 
Towels can be rough and uncomfortable to sit on. So I decided to design a blanket that was just the size of the passenger
 seat in the car, with a little hang over.  
I wanted it made out of soft but 
durable yarn that could be thrown in the washer 
and dryer and still look good.
When I design I like to learn new stitches, 
so I decided to learn the basket weave stitch
 and incorporate it into the car blanket. 
The Basket Weave Stitch is basically
  Front Post Double Crochet
 and Back Post double Crochet stitched in blocks.

I practiced the stitch patterns several times before
 I made the blanket, and to make sure I could do it. 
Once I learned the pattern, It was easy.


See this Video on my Youtube Channel at this LINK

Dog Car  Blanket - Basket Weave Crochet Pattern
by Sara Sach
Please. add this Crochet Pattern to Your Ravelry Favorites

Skill: Easy to moderate

(Moderate for the Front Post Double Crochet, Back Post Double Crochet Stitches)

Once you learn the pattern it is very easy.

Materials :

Hook - N/9.00m
Yarn: Chunky (5) 3.5 oz. of 2 colors
          I used Bernat softee-  beige and blue
Yarn needle to weave in ends.
       
Stitches:
Chain (ch)
Double Crochet (dc)
Half Double Crochet (hdc)
Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc)
Back Post Double Crochet (bpdc)
Change to (chgto)

Size : The size can be modified for a larger blanket in increments of 8 + 4

Gauge: 4 dc = 1.5 inches, 1 row = 1 inch

Pattern:
Notes: ch 3 counts as a stitch.

R: 1 - Chain 50, with C1, dc in the 4th ch from the hook, 1 dc in each ch across, ch 3, tuen.
(48dc - the st count is the same throughout the pattern)
Swatch of 16 dc + 3

R: 2 - bpdc in the first 3 back posts, ( the ch 3 will act as the first bpdc),
 *4 fpdc, 4 bpdc repeat from *across row, ch 3, turn


R: 3  - Repeat R: 2


R: 4 - 3 fpdc, *4 bpdc, 4 fpdc, repeat from * across row,
(This is opposite of R 2)

R : 5 - R: 6 -  Repeat R: 4


R: 7 - R: 9 - Repeat R: 2

R: 10 - R: 12 - Repeat R: 4

R: 13 - R: 15 - Repeat R: 2

R: 16 - Chg to C2,  Repeat R: 2

R: 17 - R: 18 - Repeat R: 2

R: 18 - R: 21 - Repeat R: 4

R: 22 - R: 24 - Repeat R: 2

R: 25 - R: 27 - Repeat R : 4

R: 28- R: 30 - Repeat R : 2

R : 31 - Chgto C1, dc evenly around all four sides, place 3 dc in each corner.

R: 32 - Chgto C2, sc in each dc around, join and tie off. Weave in all your ends.


I really enjoyed learning this stitch
and love the way the blanket turned out.

This Blanket was Crochet using Red heart Worsted weight 
(4) and a I hook.
I think Rosie and Maximo like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
zhifaqi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.