Monday, February 21, 2011

Crochet pattern for a Dog Blanket - Basket Weave

After taking my Rosie Bell back and forth from the Doggie Doctor 
the last couple of weeks, I decided she needed a little blanket to sit on,
 instead of a towel. Towels can be rough and uncomfortable to sit on. 
 So I decided to design a blanket that was just the size of the passenger
 seat in the car, with a little hang over. I wanted it made out of soft but 
durable yarn that could be thrown in the washer 
and dryer and still look good.


Please, add this Crochet Pattern to Your

The Blanket is a 18 X 18 inch Square.

When I design I like to learn new stitches, 
so I decided to learn the basket weave stitch and incorporate
 it into the car blanket. The Basket Weave Stitch is basically
  Front Post Double Crochet and Back Post 
double Crochet stitched in blocks.
 ( the links for these stitches are the best
 and easiest links on these stitches I found) 
I practiced the stitch patterns several times before
 I made the blanket, to make sure I could do it. 
Once I learned the pattern, It was easy.

Dog Car  Blanket - Basket Weave Crochet Pattern

by Sara Sach

The Dog Car Blanket is a 18 X 18 inch square-
The size can be modified for a larger blanket in increments of 4



Skill: Easy to moderate

(Moderate for the Front Post Double Crochet, Back Post Double Crochet Stitches)

Once you learn the pattern it is very easy.

Materials :

Hook - N
Yarn: 1 skein variegated worsted weight yarn, solid for trim

Stitches:
Chain (ch)
Double Crochet (dc)
Half Double Crochet (hdc)
Front Post Double Crochet (fpdc)
Back Post Double Crochet (bpdc)



Close up of the hook and stitch.


Pattern:

Chain 49, with the variegated yarn.
( for a larger blanket add in increments of 4)
dc in the second ch from the hook, 47 more dc (48 dc) ch 2

R : 1 - bpdc in the first 3 back posts, ( the ch 2 will act as the first bpdc),
 *4 fpdc, 4 bpdc repeat from *across row, ch 2, turn

R : 2- 4  - repeat R : 2

R : 5- ( 3 fpdc, *4 bpdc, 4 fpdc, repeat from * across row,
(This is opposite of R 2-3)

R : 6-8 - Repeat R : 5

R : 9-12 - Repeat R: 1-4

R : 13-16 - Repeat R : 5-8

R : 17-20 - Repeat R : 1-4

R : 21-24 - Repeat R : 5-8
I tried to get a close up so you could see the
 blocks on the basket weave.

Continue to repeat the pattern back and forth until
 you reach the end of Row 48

R : 49 - join in the solid yarn , hdc evenly around all four sides
of the blanket. tie off and weave in the ends.


I really enjoyed learning this stitch
and love the way the blanket turned out.


I think Rosie and Maximo like it too.



Post a Comment