Saturday, September 28, 2019

How I Dyed Yarn With Coffee...It was so fun! | Posh Pooch Designs

How I Dyed Yarn With Coffee...
It was so fun!
 Sara Sach of  Posh Pooch Designs


Someone told me about yarn that was dyed with coffee.
It sounded amazing to combine the 2 things I enjoy, 
or should I say love. 
"Yarn And Coffee".
So I did!

What I Used:
100% Cotton Yarn - 3 Skeins
I want to dye them 3 different shades.
Yarn Bee Cotton XXL 100% Cotton (5) 
- White 3.5 oz. 50 yards each

Any yarn that is 100% Animal Fiber or Cotton will work.
Acrylic or Acrylic Blends will not work.

A Huge Pot of Folders Dark Coffee (12 cups)
Salt - just a pinch
A Pot Of Boiling Water - About 3 cups
I use this to thin out the coffee.
A Plastic Strainer
A hand held Potato Masher and Wooden Spoon
3 Large Plastic Bowls
3 Plastic Hangers

Here is What I Did:

1.Made the Coffee - really strong - 
with a pinch of table salt.

Got the pot of water on the stove boiling.

Made my self a Cup of coffee to sip on.
YUMMY!


2. I poured 3 cups of Coffee in the 1st bowl, 
2 Cups of Coffee, and 1 cup of boiling water
 in the 2nd bowl, and 
1 cup of Coffee and 2 Cups of boiling water
 in the 3rd bowl.

Be careful it is very hot!


I am hoping to get 3 shades of the Yarn.

3. I removed the yarn wrappers, 
loosened up the balls of yarn, and carefully put a
 ball of Yarn in each bowl.
Using my potato masher, I gently pushed the yarn down
 to help it soak up the coffee.
I flipped over the ball very carefully as not to burn myself.
I again pushed down the yarn, and repeated this until the yarn was fully saturated with the coffee. 

4. I let it set and soak:
 3 hours for lightest one,
 6 hours for the middle one, 
9 hours for the darkest one.

5. I put the strainer in the sink and rinsed the ball
 until the water ran clear. 
 This will take about 10 minutes.

If using Wool yarn... do not agitate the yarn, or it will felt.

If the color is not dark enough, you can repeat Steps 1 - 5
until it's the shade you want.

6. After  this,I squeezed out the excess water,
And  I rolled the ball in long loops, and hung
 it on a hanger, on my back deck, to dry.

Rosie is watching guard, making sure the Birds
 don't steal the yarn for nests.

7. After The yard is dry, I Rolled it into cakes.
they are not as dark as I wanted, 
but I do really like how they turned out.

I am going to make a Bread Basket for 
Holiday Celebrations.
I will let you know how it turned out.



This really was fun, and I have some 
thin Cotton I want to try dying with tea.

I have a friend who told me she soaks in coffee 
once a week for all over even tan. 
She always has a lovely tan,  so I may have to try it. 



No comments: