Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Learning How to make T-Shirt yarn or "Tarn"

I wanted to learn how to make
 T-shirt Yarn or "Tarn" 


By Sara Sach of Posh Pooch Designs


I made a Video, which you can see 
At This LINK





What You need:
 Old T-Shirts - washed and dried
A Good Pair of Fabric Scissors
A Tape measure if you want to measure your strips


Let's Get started!



The first thing I did was raid my husbands
 T-shirt drawer. Once I picked the colors I wanted,


I laid the it on the counter  flat, and cut  the hem off
and cut  across the chest, right under the sleeves,


I The turned it side ways so the folds were on the top and bottom.
 I folded the Top down about 2 inches. 
 (Now, I did not measure anything,
I eyeballed it all.)
 I cut from bottom to top  about 1 inch strips,
stopping short of the fold. I did this all the way across the the T-Shirt.



I  opened the end of the T-shirt the  I did not cut, and make a cut 
from the first, strip to the next strip. It will be  a slanted cut.


I was struggling a little with cutting the next slanted cuts,
so I got out my big tea pitcher, and laid it the T-Shirt on top.
 This really helped a lot.


As I cut each strip, I unwound it and let it drape to the floor.
Isn't it pretty?


Once I had the "Tarn" all cut, It need to be stretched to look like yarn.
I gently pulled on the yarn to get it to stretch,
but not to hard or it will break.


I ended up making three different colors. I had to stop,
 because all the cutting was rubbing a blister on my finger.
(yes, I am a big baby!)


With Tarn I made this yarn Bowl.
I think is is lovely.
See it at This LINK




9 comments:

Elisabeth Spivey said...

This is great! and i love the colors you cut up :)

Posh Pooch Designs said...

Thanks, it was fun.

Sharon Marie said...

Great idea. I've been eyeballing all the tshirts my dh has and this might be a way to thin out his collection ;)

Doni said...

Great tutorial, I can't wait to give this a try. :)

Amanda M. said...

Thanks for stopping by Confessions of a Marine Wife i'm now following you back!

TJ @ MeasuringFlower.com said...

Hi! New follower from the blog hop! Have a great day. :-) www.MeasuringFlower.com

Dani said...

LOVE This - found you from blog hop. Hope you stop by and join! http://multisubject.blogspot.com

Veronika said...

cute blog! :)

vividad said...

This is a great idea. And it makes me think of a problem I have encountered. Many T-shirt are too long for me, do you know of a way to hem a T-shirt that is stretchable and looks nice, besides buying a serger machine?