Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Help! My Chihuahua is Itchy!

 Maximo - Itchy Dog and
 Dog Model for Posh Pooch Designs

Maximo is a Merle Chihuahua and he has very sensitive skin.
I use special dog shampoo to bathe him,
 and he has to take allergy pills.
He also Sheds like crazy because of his "special skin issues."

My beautiful mom..She loves to wear flowers in her hair..
don't let that sweet face fool you, she is very ornery.
(I want to be just like her when I grow up)

I took my Mom to her Dr.s Appointment yesterday and
while we were there, her Dr. was telling us
about his dog,
 and that he has allergies and
 he give his dog
Fish oil Omega 3 and he
doesn't have to take
allergy pills any more , plus, his
coat is thick and full again.

Well, I did some investigating.....

"Fish oil is good for dogs – and cats! Veterinarians first used omega-3 fatty acids in the form of fish oil to treat canine allergies but now recommend it for a wide variety of conditions ranging from kidney disease to arthritis and high cholesterol. Adding fish oil to your dog's food provides anti-inflammatory effects and can help relieve itching due to atopic dermatitis, an allergy-related skin condition." (from ask a vet)




I said to myself , "I am going to give this a test run."

I went to Walgreen's, which by the way has a buy one get one on the Fish oil omega 3 right now, and got two bottles. I am giving 1/2 a capsule which is 600 mg to each of my Chihuahuas with breakfast everyday for two week.
I hope this will help Maximo stop itching and loosing so much hair.



Then I thought, "if it is good for my dogs, is it good for me?"  So again I did some investigating.  And the Answer is YES!
It has several Benefits :
 Arthritis benefits
Heart disease benefits
Many Health benefits


I am now taking this stuff, too,
So, maybe I won't be
so Itchy, either.

I'll keep ya posted!

2 comments:

Sharon Marie said...

Good information. My two chis, especially my little boy, have the allergy problems every summer. He's starting to scratch now. About every 4-6 weeks we go to the vet for a shot and then they're good for a while and then it starts up again. I just bought some of the fish oil capsules and I'm going to give them a try too. Maybe this dermatitis is common to chihuahuas?

Posh Pooch Designs said...

oh, good, let me know if it helps your dogs.