Saturday, June 14, 2014

Opa's Hat - Men's Summer Bucket Hat

Opa's Hat Crochet Pattern 
 By Sara Sach of Posh Pooch Designs

I designed The "Opa's Hat" just for my hubby.
We are Opa and Oma 
to our 3 precious Grandchildren.




It is a loose fitting hat, and very comfy to wear on
 a warm day.
I chose to make it out of Cotton yarn,
so it would be cooler.

I absolutely Love this picture.The view in the back ground, 
and one of my Husband's toys a jeep.
My Son has a Race team Called
And my hubby gets to "play" with them.

We just retested and Updated This Crochet Patterns with lots of new pictures,
 And a Brand New Video

See this Video on my Youtube channel at this LINK




Opa's Hat - Crochet Pattern by Sara Sach
Please Add This Pattern To Your Ravelry Favorites


Skill - Easy


Materials - 
Hook - I / 5.50 MM/ 5.25 MM
Yarn – Cotton (4) Main Color / MC - 4 oz. Color Two/ C2 – 1 oz.
Yarn Needle

Stitches -
Chain (ch)
Slip Stitches (sl st)
Single Crochet (sc)
Half Double Crochet (hdc)
Double Crochet (dc)
Change to (chgto)
Front Post Only (FPO)
Back Post Only (BLO)

Size: 20 - 22  inch head
The Hat is intended to be loose and comfortable to wear.
You can adjust the size by going up or down a hook size.

Gauge: 3 dc = 1 inch 

Note:  
Ch2 and Ch 3 at ends of rows counts as a stitch unless otherwise stated.
When changing colors ch2, or ch3 after the color change.
Color change are up to your preference, Colors in Pictures are from the Video Demo.

R: 1 – With MC, Ch5, join in a circle, ch 3, 9 dc, join with a sl st, ch3 (10 dc)

 R: 2 - 1 dc in the same st as the ch3, 2 dc in each dc around, join, ch 3 (20 dc)

 R: 3 - 1 dc in the same st as the ch 3, 2 dc in next dc around,
 join, ch 3 (40 dc)

 R: 4 - 1 dc in the same st as the ch3, *1 dc in the next dc, 2 dc in the next dc*, 
Repeat from * to * around, ch 3 (60 dc)

 R: 5 - 1 dc in the same st as the ch3, *1 dc in the next 2 dc, 2 dc in the next dc*, 
Repeat from * to * around, join. Do not tie off, Do not ch 3 (80 dc)

The top of your hat should be nice and flat.

 R: 6 - Chgto C2, Do not cut MC, FLO of R: 5, ch1, sc in each dc around, join to ch1,
tie off. (80 sc)


 R: 7 - Chgto MC, BLO of R: 5, ch 3, 
1 dc in each dc around, join, ch 3 (80 dc)

 R: 8 - R: 12 - 1 dc in each dc around, join, ch 3 (80 dc)
Do not tie off MC, Do not ch 3 after R: 12

 R: 13 – Chgto C2, ch2, 1 hdc in each dc around, join to ch 2, Ch 2 (80 hdc)

R: 14 - 1 hdc in each hdc, join, tie off, weave in the ends. (80 hdc)

 R: 15 - Chgto MC, Ch 3, 1 dc in the same st as the ch3,
*1 dc in the next 3 hdc, 2 dc in the next hdc*, 
Repeat From * to * around brim of the hat, join, ch 3. (100 dc)

R: 16 - 1 dc in each dc, join, ch1 (100 dc)

R: 17 -1 sc in each dc, join. (100 sc)

R: 18 - Chgto C2, ch1, 1 sc in each sc,
 Join, Tie off weave in your ends.  (100 sc)
This is the perfect Father's Day gift and you can
 stitch it up in a evening.


 It is perfect for my hubby to wear 
while while mowing the lawn, working in the yarn or playing 
with the jeeps. The back of the hat comes down on his neck,
 to keep him from getting sunburned too.


And it is Oh So Stylish!
I tried to get him to Model it but he did not have time, 
Maybe later.

An Ad Free PDF file is available 
For $4.50 in my Ravelry shop
At This LINK

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sara. Just watched the child version and just had to look for the adult. Unfortunately, large heads run in my family, lol. Mine is 22in, and I know my dad and brothers is at least the same, if not larger. I know I could try a larger hook, but could I also add another row of DC to the top? Would I need to increase again?
Thank you for the great patterns.